Hammock time

This morning, I enjoyed some time outside in a hammock with my youngest — a nine-year-old daughter named Jacey. I had been grading a few papers, but when she invited me to hop in the hammock with her, I jumped at the chance. I went in our backyard in a fuzzy robe for a Sunday morning lazy.

As I got into the hammock, I had a terror moment where I envisioned the classic flip backwards reminiscent of America’s Funnies Videos. I slowed down, took my time, and landed safely in the hammock. The only trouble was that the hammock was positioned for our smaller daughters. I felt like I was about folded in half. My legs went up and my butt went down, and my slipper came off.

Nevertheless I was comfortable and cozy. As I read all about freezing cows and hens in the classic Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type, I couldn’t help but notice the cool breeze blowing through the wind-breaker fabric on my backside.  When the story ended, the sun came out. At that point, my daughter wanted the blanket on her face. We nuzzled down inside the Minions fuzzy blanket and just stayed — in a sandwich position — the best position of all for a Sunday morning.

When we pulled back the blanket, we watched the clouds flow swiftly in the darkened sky, and the smell of rain was subtle. I had my spring moment, and I let it wash over me, just as if we had waited for the rain together.

27 thoughts on “Hammock time

1. What a special moment to unravel through this post. You set the scene very well- I could picture everything about the hammock and your cuddled lounging with your daughter.

2. I felt like I was there, living in the moment too! Beautifully written and I can’t wait to experience a moment like that myself…soon, soon! 🙂

3. I love how you have decided to talk about something that to the naked eye is insignificant, but when put down in words, is a sweet and relaxing tale.

4. That sounds like one of the most relaxing days anyone could possibly have. I felt like I was there, and the description of being folded in half was amazing!

5. “In a sandwich position” reminded me of times when my mom, brother and I would cuddle and how we would say which part of a sandwich we would be for that cuddle.

6. I loved the description in the second paragraph. The way you described your position in the hammock. I could envision the entire thing. It definitely brought a smile to my face.

7. I really like the sentence “As I got into the hammock, I had a terror moment where I envisioned the classic flip backwards reminiscent of America’s Funnies Videos.” It provides a lot of imagery and humor.

8. I really liked the sentence -When we pulled back the blanket, we watched the clouds flow swiftly in the darkened sky, and the smell of rain was subtle.